VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.
The update addresses a stack overflow in MMS support as well as a heap-based buffer overflow in Real RTSP support which, its developers say, could lead to arbitrary code execution on most systems. For an attack to be successful, a user must first open a specially crafted file or a malicious web site. All VLC versions up to and including 2.0.0 are affected; upgrading to 2.0.1 fixes these issues.Features
Non-security related updates in VLC 2.0.1 include the addition of support for MxPEG files and streams, decoding improvements and, on Mac OS X, the user interface is now said to be more customisable. Other changes include limited support for Blu-ray disc menus, and fixes for MKV, HTTP Live Streaming, CDDB and UDP/RTP support, as well as various other bug fixes.
A full list of changes in the update can be found in the NEWS file and in the release notes. VLC 2.0.1 is available to download for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. VLC source code and binaries are licensed under the GPLv2.
- Simple, fast and powerful media player.
- Plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
- Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed:
- MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3...
- Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix...
- Completely Free, 0 spyware, 0 ads and no user tracking.
- Can do Media Convertion and Streaming.
Free Download VLC media player 2.0.1